Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dehydrating for meal prep


I found this great recipe from Weelicious.  She is amazing and when my mom bought me her Lunches book for Christmas and it completely opened my eyes to how I can be feeding my family.  I know it's geared more towards kids but I felt so much of the info was relevant to the whole family. 

As you can imagine I got all excited about this recipe for Crock Pot Vegetable Ziti and was going to make it for dinner tonight which for me means putting everything in the pot the night before and storing it in the fridge.  But, by the time I got to the prep part, my daughter was in bed and there was no way I was going to rev up the food processor, so no ziti tonight. 

My solution for this problem is to take some Sunday Yumday time and grate bunches of carrots, zucchini, and squash and dehydrate them.  I will also dehydrate some chopped onions and bell peppers.  I could either store everything in mason jars separately or make little prepackaged dealies with all the ingredients together.  I'll try both and see which one I like the best.  I have in the past dehydrated veggies to smuggle into my families food so this recipe will be a nice addition to my veggie smuggling adventures.  Not to say that I want to smuggle all their veggies, I want them to grow up knowing what they are eating, but the occasional smuggling isn't a bad thing. 

So, what am I taking away from last night's fail?  I'm going to gather some recipes that call for grated veggies, throw the veggies in the food processor and then dehydrate them for future use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment